The Arkansas Studies Institute (ASI) has four meeting spaces, which are free and open to the public. Meeting space must be booked in advance by contacting Holly Mathisen at 501-320-5790.
No library facilities may be used for the immediate point of purchase to sell goods, merchandise, or services, or to directly or indirectly promote a business enterprise or to solicit clientele. The facility may be used for fund-raising by organizations with a 501(c)3 status, candidates for political office, or persons involved in issue-oriented campaigns, provided they submit appropriate documentation.
With the exception of after-hours social events (see guidelines below), all rooms in the Arkansas Studies Institute are to be used for non-social meetings during normal hours of operation. For bridal/baby showers, or other casual social events, please contact the CALS branch libraries.
To reserve any of the rooms in the Arkansas Studies Institute, located at 401 President Clinton Avenue in Little Rock’s River Market District, you will need to have this Meeting Room Registration Form on record with the ASI staff. Arkansas Studies Institute meeting room hours are 9:00 a.m. until 5:45 p.m., Monday through Saturday. There is no access to the building before 9:00 a.m., so please allow for adequate time to set up before your meeting start time. All regular meetings must end 15 minutes prior to the meeting room’s closing time.
Meeting room features are as follows:
- ROOM 110 — This meeting space is located on the first floor of the ASI at the south end of the ASI galleries. The room seats approximately fifteen classroom style and twenty-five theater style. The space is equipped with a built-in LCD projector, drop-down electric screen and integrated audio system, DVD/VCR, laptop connection, centralized touch panel on podium, and Walltalker™ dry erase board. Light refreshments, such as boxed lunches, are permitted.
- ROOM 124 — This space is located on the first floor of the ASI on the east side. The same A/V features are available as are listed in the description of Room 110, with the addition of four listening assistance devices. This space will accommodate approximately forty-five classroom style and approximately seventy-five theater style. Catering is allowed. There is an adjacent warming room that has a microwave, refrigerator, and icemaker, along with a center serving island.
- ROOM 132 — This room is on the building’s east side. Features include an LCD-TV with integrated audio system, DVD/VCR, tabletop laptop output, and video-conferencing capabilities. A boardroom-style table seats eight to ten people. Only bottled water is allowed.
- ROOM 204 — Located on the second floor of the Porbeck & Bowman building portion of the ASI, this room features unique and historic features, along with an LCD-TV with integrated audio system, DVD/VCR, and tabletop laptop output. A boardroom-style table seats twenty people. Light refreshments, such as boxed lunches, are allowed.
After-Hours Social Events
After-hours events at the Arkansas Studies Institute require additional security and staffing, and therefore have the following requirements.
- Fees and Deposit: The total fee is $500 plus an additional $200 refundable deposit. This includes use of the meeting rooms and the warming room. Once a date has been determined, the person renting the facility will be required to complete a contract and apply $200 toward the fee (with a remaining $300 payment) and an additional $200 refundable deposit (to be refunded upon satisfactory inspection of the facility after the event). Complete payment must be made at least two weeks prior to the event.
- If the event is going to be held (completely or in part) in any of the galleries or the museum space, the person renting the facility will be required to provide an additional $750 refundable security deposit (for a total of $950 in refundable deposits). The Arkansas Studies Institute reserves the right to limit access to the galleries and museum to protect certain exhibits from potential damage.
- Time Available: Receptions may not begin until 5:30 p.m. or later. Clean up must be completed and everyone must be out no later than 11:45 p.m. Allow 1 to 1 ½ hours for clean up. Set Up: Users are responsible for all set up. Access to the meeting rooms is available for this purpose during normal hours of operation (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), or as scheduled. Events scheduled to take place in the public spaces (galleries and museum) may not set up until after 5 p.m.
- Furniture and Equipment: Furnishings available include classroom-style tables and chairs and an AV system. Linens, decorations, or other equipment are not provided. There are no prohibitions on renting equipment to bring in for events. However, it will be the user’s responsibility to arrange for pick up by the conclusion of the event. Personal or rented items may not be left overnight.
- Clean Up: Users are responsible for returning all furnishings to the storage closets, clearing out all rented equipment, and leaving the entire facility—including warming room, bathrooms, and all flooring and surfaces—clean and free of debris or spills. Users assume full responsibility for any damage to the room or equipment. Misuse or abuse of library property will be prosecuted. The ASI/CALS will not be responsible for any items left in the facility.
- Catering Requirement: A professionally accredited, licensed caterer of your choice is required to be in charge of all food, alcohol, and other beverages. Self-service of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. No kegs are allowed.
- Decorations: The use of confetti, tape, or staples on any surface is prohibited. Nothing may be hung from the ceiling. Wall decorations may be hung only on the existing hooks that are provided. The use of candles is prohibited.
- Security On Site/Library Parking Lot: Users can expect library security and/or other staff to be available, greet guests as they enter the lot, direct them to the building, answer any questions, and lock up at the end of the evening. Users can expect use of all available spaces for their guests in the library parking lot during the event. Parking in the library lot is limited, and parking spaces are not guaranteed to be available. The area around the Arkansas Studies Institute includes street parking as well as a parking deck.
- Statement of Liability: Users assume full responsibility for any illness or injury resulting from the event, including food poisoning and alcohol over-consumption, and for loss or damage of property of any guest or other person at the event. The user also assumes full responsibility for damage to or theft of CALS’ equipment and/or other property of CALS caused by anyone entering the premises as a result of said event. The user will compensate CALS for such damage or theft.
Floor Plans of the Arkansas Studies Institute
Click any image to enlarge.